Monday, August 22, 2011

Sean Penn Let Down by Final Edit of 'Tree of Life'

Sean Penn did not agree with the final edit of Terrence Malick's Tree of Life.our editor recommends'The Tree of Life'5 Things We Do Know About Terrence Malick's Mysterious 'Tree of Life' "I didn't at all find on the screen the emotion of the script, which is the most magnificent one that I've ever read," he tells French newspaper Le Figaro (via The New Yorker). "A clearer and more conventional narrative would have helped the film without, in my opinion, lessening its beauty and its impact." PHOTOS: Most anticipated films at Cannes 2011 "Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing there and what I was supposed to add in that context!" he added. "What's more, Terry himself never managed to explain it to me clearly." REVIEW: Tree of Life Penn adds, "It's a film I recommend on the condition that one go only without preconceptions. It's up to each to find a personal emotional or spiritual connection. Those that reach this generally leave very moved." PHOTOS: Hollywood on the film festival circuit Co-star Brad Pitt (who played Penn's father) said at the Cannes premiere that working with Malick had a lasting effect on his career, however. PHOTOS: Stars hit the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival "It's changed everything I've done since," he said, describing Malick's shooting style: "He's like a guy standing there with a butterfly net, waiting for that moment to go by." The film had five editors and was in post-production for three years before finally being released in the United States by Fox Searchlight in May. Lindsay.Powers@thr.com; @LKPE Related Topics Brad Pitt Sean Penn The Tree of Life Terrence Malick

No comments:

Post a Comment